Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Special Joke for the Folks at Home

Tonight we all three – Messieurs H and I – slept in the hut and had some light dinner before bed – a typical speck brot dish of cured ham and bread. Afterward, it was obvious that I am to wash not only the cow but the human dishes as well. Am averaging about a surprise per hour so far. My cow men might be thinking the pleasure of washing dishes is enough to make this foreign girl fairly chortle out loud. In fact, am thinking of how hard my friends and family would be roaring (bodily functions going in all directions, I figure) if they could see me acting the ersatz hausfrau. Still, is all about division of labour – I haven’t heard them asking me to muck out the barn yet, so fair’s fair. Getting the hang of lighting the wood stove too. Have used enough matches to burn Rome and discovered that Conde Nast Traveller works better than kindling. If it comes to it, could even use this week’s Spectator. On second thought, I think they sell the Mail on Sunday down in the village.

No comments: